BTC to RBTC Conversion
In this article, we explain step by step on how to convert from BTC to RBTC, and vice versa. The process of conversion utilises a Powpeg mechanism. Thus, these conversions are referred to as peg-ins and peg-outs.
- A conversion from BTC to RBTC
- Locks BTC in the BTC Federation address
- Releases RBTC in the RSK derived address
- A conversion from RBTC to BTC
- Locks RBTC on the RSK network
- Releases BTC on the Bitcoin network
The types of addresses that are accepted for the Federation are:
- Legacy (P2PKH)
- Segwit Compatible (P2SH-P2WPKH)
Note: On the Testnets, the token symbols are prefixed with a lowercase
t. Thus we have
RBTCon the Mainnets, which correspond to
tRBTCof the Testnets.
Enter your BTC address below to verify whether it may be used to peg in from BTC to RBTC.
You can try the conversion process using either options below;
Watch this explainer video on How to do BTC & R-BTC Conversions using the RSK Powpeg.
Q & A
1. How often does the RSK Federation address change?
RSK Federation address has changed three times since RSK mainnet launch.
2. Do I lose my Bitcoin if the RSK Federation address change during my transfer?
There is a grace period for the RSK Federation address change. You will still be able to lock Bitcoin and get RBTC during the grace period. However, any Bitcoin sent to the old RSK Federation address will be lost post to the grace period.
Join the Rootstock Global Dicord Community, to ask questions and get answers.